Monday, August 29, 2011

Kids today...

After a recent trip to the zoo, and at the risk of sounding like an old curmudgeon, I do think kids today are a different breed than those of mine and older generations. The entire day at the zoo I listened to kids complain that they were "tired" and that they wanted to go home. They didn't want to "sit in the heat." This struck me as odd. When I was a kid, which wasn't that long ago as I am only 27, I LOVED going to the zoo. I didn't get tired because I was so excited! I wasn't even the most active child, but I still enjoyed getting out of the house for the day and seeing the animals.

We have a whole generation being brought up that cannot stand activity. Ipods, iphones, and televisions have truly changed the make up of kids. I hate to say it, but my nine month old was the least complaining child I saw all day. What I saw and heard is going to make me try to enforce a culture of activity on my son. Technology has many benefits, but I think it is turning us into hermits in a lot of ways. I want my child to be able to enjoy a day at the zoo. After all, you only live once. I wouldn't want my life to be a montage of text messages, instant messages, mp3's, and streaming videos.

1 comment:

  1. ...they cannot stand activity that doesn't involve sitting somewhere and holding an electronic gadget of sorts.. And we are surprised folks are overweight?

    ReplyDelete